Admissions Criteria: Master of Science in Nursing + Companion DNP
Applicants are expected to meet the following criteria for admission to the Frontier Nursing University (FNU):
- Be a registered nurse with educational preparation from a nationally (CCNE or ACEN) accredited nursing program. To check your program's accreditation please visit http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx.
- Registered nurses with a baccalaureate or higher degree in nursing will be considered for admission to the DNP Program.
- Registered nurses without a baccalaureate or higher degree in nursing, who have completed a diploma or associate degree nursing program and have a bachelor’s degree in another discipline, will be considered for admission to the DNP Program with the additional requirement of a portfolio of relevant employment and academic experience.
- Registered nurses who have an Associate Degree in Nursing but no baccalaureate degree in any discipline will be considered for admission via the ADN Bridge Entry Option. (See admission requirements for the Bridge entry option.)
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 from the most recent degree (nursing or related field) earned.
- Be a registered nurse with a current, active license in the United States with no encumbrances. If assignment to a clinical practice site requires that the student practice in another state, then the student is required to meet licensing requirements according to statutes and obtain the appropriate license.
- Have one year of Registered Nursing Experience. For RNs with less than one year of RN experience, the Admissions Committee may consider other significant experience in health care including working as a doula, childbirth educator, and/or lactation consultant.
- Submit three professional references (two professional supervisors and one professional peer) on the Professional Reference Evaluation Document
- Applicants whose primary language is not English and/or who have completed their tertiary education (level equivalent to U.S. college or university) in a non-English speaking institution, must take the internet based TOEFL (IBT) and achieve the following minimum scores: Reading 22, Listening 22, Speaking 26, and Writing 24. To be considered official, test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the University. Frontier Nursing University's TOEFL code is 5692. Please provide this code to TOEFL when taking the exam to ensure test results are expedited to the University.
The prerequisite courses must be completed prior to applying to the FNU. Please include the transcripts that indicate successful completion of these courses with your admission packet.
- A 3 credit physical assessment course. If an applicant did not have a physical assessment course, the FNU has an online course in Physical Assessment that will meet the requirement. Physical assessment content integrated into other courses, will NOT meet this requirement.
- An undergraduate upper division level or graduate level statistics course or an Advanced Placement statistics course approved by the College Board. The statistics course must have been taken within 10 years of beginning the degree coursework at FNU.
- Any required prerequisite course must be completed prior to application.
Applicants with questions regarding their qualifications for admission to the FNU should contact the FNU Admissions Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each applicant who meets the minimum requirements as listed above is evaluated individually. The FNU Faculty Admissions Committee makes all admission decisions.