Clinical Requirements: Post-Graduate Certificate and Master of Science in Nursing - Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Students, preceptors, and faculty collaborate to design regional clinical experiences to facilitate PMHNP student achievement of program competencies. With preceptor oversight, students manage patient’s psychopharmacological needs, learn the psychotherapist role in at least two modalities such as individual and group therapy, and manage collaborative care needs with other mental health care providers and client supports. Examples of clinical sites that provide psychiatric-mental health care across the lifespan include Community Mental Health Centers, Intensive Outpatient Programs for substance use disorders, psychiatric Inpatient facilities for acute exacerbations of mental illnesses and substance use disorders, community based services to meet the needs of the chronically mentally ill, primary care practices and community agencies, and private practices. All course work offered in the front-loaded curriculum is designed to support the students acquisition of knowledge, skills and ability to care for persons with mental health needs.
With assistance from FNU, students identify clinical sites in their own communities.
- PGC - 540 clinical hours
- MSN - 675 clinical hours
- Additional 360 clinical hours for students choosing to complete the DNP
Maximum number of clinic/office hours per day: 9
Maximum number of clinic/office hours per week: 40
Minimum number of hours/week: 16 hours
Maximum number of clinical sites: 4 sites. Examples: Community Mental Health Centers, Intensive Outpatient Treatment for mental and substance use disorders, psychiatric inpatient facilities, home health and community agencies, community based services to meet the needs of the chronically mentally ill, long-term care facilities, and private practices.
Percent of clinical time across the lifespan:50% adults, 25% Children and Adolescents, and 25% Older Persons who are culturally diverse with a range of psychiatric disorders.
Minimum number of types of encounters:
- 10 Child or adolescent psychiatric intakes
- 20 Adult psychiatric intakes
- 10 Older person psychiatric intakes
- 20 Acute/Crisis Care Management
- 250 Medication Management
- 50 Substance Disorder Management
- 50 Seriously Mentally ill continuity care
- 15 Group therapy sessions
- 20 Individual Patients for continuity therapy sessions
- 20 Supervision encounters
- Case Days (consultation)
- Telepsych - Optional, no more than 20% of total clinical time may be spent doing telepsych
- 50 Child/Adolescent Medication Management