Admissions Criteria: Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice
Applicants are expected to meet the following criteria for admission to the Frontier Nursing University (FNU):
- Hold a master's of science degree in nursing (MSN), a master's in nursing (MN), or a MS in nursing OR have a master’s degree in a related field (such as MPH or masters in midwifery or other area). To check your program's accreditation please visit http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/search.aspx. Applicants who meet the minimum admissions criteria will be considered on an individual basis.
- Be a registered nurse with a national certification as:
- adult nurse practitioner (ANP)
- certified nurse-midwife (CNM)
- family nurse practitioner (FNP)
- geriatric-adult nurse practitioner (GANP)
- geriatric nurse practitioner (GNP)
- pediatric nurse practitioner (PNP)
- psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP)
- women's health care nurse practitioner (WHCNP)
- Have a current, active license in the United States with no encumbrances.
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 from the Master's program.
- Provide official transcripts from all post-high school educational experiences.
- Submit three professional references on FNU-supplied forms. At least two of the three references should be from individuals who know the applicant from a supervisory relationship.
- FNU MSN students in the streamlined program from MSN + Companion DNP need to review the online application for slightly different criteria
- Applicants whose primary language is not English and/or who have completed their tertiary education (level equivalent to U.S. college or university) in a non-English speaking institution, must take the internet based TOEFL (IBT) and achieve the following minimum scores: Reading 22, Listening 22, Speaking 26, and Writing 24. To be considered official, test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the University. Frontier Nursing University's TOEFL code is 5692. Please provide this code to TOEFL when taking the exam to ensure test results are expedited to the University.
Resume or curriculum vitae
Resume: Please prepare a resume that follows the example found here: (Example Resume)
- The health examination must be completed prior to attendance at DNP Bound. A health examination that includes documentation of immunity to rubella and hepatitis B, and freedom from tuberculosis in a communicable stage is required.
- An undergraduate upper division level or graduate level statistics course or an Advanced Placement Statistics course approved by the College Board. The statistics course must have been taken within 10 years of beginning the degree coursework at FNU. Applicants whose statistics course is older than 10 years will have a basic stats course added to their program of study and take it as a course at Frontier.
Narrative Statement of Area of Interest and Time Management
- Essay 1 – Area of Interest and Goal Statement Essay: Please write a well-crafted statement about an area of interest that you would consider as your DNP quality improvement project. Include information about yourself and your professional goals as a DNP graduate. Please type separately and limit yourself to 300-500 words.
- Essay 2 – Time Management Statement Essay: Graduate education is rigorous and from the experiences of Frontier students it is clear that being a full time student requires a commitment of 40 hours a week. This will require adjustments to your current work and family life. It is important that you take time to consider how you will integrate graduate school into your current situation. Please write a well-crafted statement about how you plan to fit the rigors and time commitment of graduate education into your life situation of work and family.
The admission committee will evaluate your essay from the perspective of your writing skills and area of interest for a quality improvement DNP project. Applicants with questions regarding their qualifications for admission to the FNU should contact the FNU Admissions Counselor at email@example.com.
Each applicant who meets the minimum requirements as listed above is evaluated individually. The FNU Faculty Admissions Committee makes all admission decisions.